Slack has been a great asset for our agency for the last year and a half. It has helped us communicate with each other and our clients much better. Slack is essentially a hub to store and share files, pictures, code snippets, and more. Since the app has helped us out so much, we wanted to share a few of our favorite tips and tricks to make your work life a little bit better.
Turn on “All Unreads” tab
If you are getting a ton of messages a day, you need to turn this on. You’ll be able to see all of your unread messages (public and direct messages) in one place instead of checking each channel.
One of my favorite things Slackbot can do is set reminders. I can ask it to remind me of a certain task at a given date/time. Just type in “/remind me” and then the thing you want to get reminded and Slackbot will send you a message at that time. You can also set a reminder for other people and have them in certain rooms as well.
If you don’t already know, the search feature in Slack is one of the things that sets it apart from everything else. If it was posted (messages or files) in Slack, you’ll be able to find it. You can set the search modifiers to narrow your results down to specific channels, users, before/after a certain date, and much more.
Tired of your co-workers asking for the same information like the wi-fi password? You can set up a Slackbot auto-responder for commonly asked questions.
Another thing that makes Slack so powerful is how it integrates with a lot of other apps you may already be using such as Trello, PayPal, Todoist, Mailchimp, Twitter, and much more. Make sure to take a look at the list to see how it can help you.
This is nothing new but if you don’t have this integration installed, you need to do this now. Add some emphasis to what you are saying or lighten the mood by adding a GIF to the conversation. All you have to do is type “/giphy [insert keyword]” and it will post a random GIF based on your keyword. You can also turn the “NSFW” feature on so you don’t post anything inappropriate by accident.
- /away: Toggle your “away” status.
- /dm: Send a direct message to someone on your team.
- /collapse: Collapse all GIFs, images, and files in a channel.
- /expand: Expand all GIFs, images, and files in a channel.
- /mute: Mute all messages in a channel.
- /open: Open or join another channel.
- /pref: Open the preferences menu.
- /shortcuts: Open the keyboard shortcuts menu.
- /shrug: Send a “shruggie” to your team: ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Other keyboard shortcuts
- Command + , to open preferences
- Command + . to expand/collapse the “Flexpane” (right sidebar)jo
- Command + f to search
- @ + tab to autocomplete a name
- Command + u to upload a file
- Shift + Enter to type on a new line
- Shift Command M to view all of your mentions
- Shift Command S to view all starred messages
- Command + / for all of the keyboard shortcuts!
Bonus Tip: Single-Channel Guests
Check out how we use Single Channel Guests to interact with and keep track of project assets with our clients.